Location: Miami, Florida
Independently conducts, facilitates, develops and monitors activities and functions relating to clinical and environmental surveillance, investigation, analysis, interpretation, reporting, prevention and control of infections and communicable diseases. Demonstrates understanding of high reliability principles through use of tools, and behaviors that promote patient safety to perform a wide range of prevention and control functions. Works on a broad and diverse portfolio of system-wide infection prevention projects. Acts in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal rules and regulations and infection control standards.
Job Specific Duties
- Reviews patient charts and microbiology and virology reports for evidence of HAIs and applies National Health and Safety Network (NHSN) definitions to identify and report HAIs through the use of an electronic surveillance system. Documents appropriate information in patient electronic record.
- Conducts ongoing infection control surveillance, prevention, and control program activities within a healthcare setting to identify early and/or suspected outbreaks of infections and communicable diseases, and to control and reduce the risk of exposure and avoid transmission by using epidemiologic principles.
- Collects, tabulates, analyzes, and interprets infection data and records, and prepares and reviews reports; utilizes appropriate reporting programs; accurately reports "reportable diseases" to the appropriate public health departments and responds to public health department inquiries, as needed.
- Leads and mentors others in apparent cause analysis to identify modifiable risk factors and other infection prevention opportunities.
- Follows-up on patients, personnel, and visitors who have communicable disease(s) and/or blood exposure within the healthcare system and serves as a resource for the Employee Health Department.
- Leads investigations of clusters of infections, outbreaks, unusual infections or exposures as these events arise and participates in epidemiologic studies, as needed.
- Independently reviews construction plans and designs and with completion of Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRAs), as needed.
- Serves as a member of, helps prepare for, and presents at the Infection Prevention and Control Committee.
- Conducts environment of care rounding, identifying modifiable risks.
- Serves as a strategic thought partner for healthcare workers to answer infection prevention and control questions or concerns from staff, patients, and/or families. Guides, directs, and implements appropriate infection prevention and control measures directly related to the program and assists in the overall strategy of the program.
- Participates in creating educational goals, objectives, and strategies for ongoing targeted infection prevention and control educational programs and initiatives by assessing and addressing learning needs to those served, evaluating the effectiveness or educational programs and learner outcomes, by using learning principles and available educational tools and technology and following evidence-based guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews and edits infection prevention and control policies, procedures, protocols, and standard work, using risk assessments to identify gaps in infection prevention and control and areas of priority.
- Maintains compliance with regulatory and mandatory reporting requirements at the local, state, and federal levels, facilitates compliance with regulatory and accreditation standards, and stays current on infection prevention and control regulatory and accreditation standards. Participates in DNV, Department of Health, and other regulatory readiness.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on various committees as well as providing consultative services to internal and external customers.
- Effectively collaborates with Information Technology and data analysis to ensure validity of data and assists in development/ revision of electronic medical records and data warehouses related to infection prevention.
- Assists in conducting the annual Infection Prevention Program Risk Assessment and preparation of the plan. Selects quality indicators and designs surveillance based on risk assessment and utilizes governance channels for program approval.
- Critically evaluates research and evidence-based practices and incorporates appropriate findings into routine practice, policies, protocols, and educational strategies, disseminates best practices to appropriate departments and leadership.
- Mentors and audits the work of junior infection preventionists.
- Performs related duties, as assigned, which may include periodic responsibility for responding to urgent infection prevention questions after hours or on weekends.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Epidemiology, Microbiology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology, Nursing, Public Health, Business or a related discipline
- Certification in Infection Prevention and Control (CIC) issued by the Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology (CBIC) required at time of hire
- Minimum of 5 years of satisfactory clinical experience or experience working in infection prevention and control, health care epidemiology or a related field in a hospital or a healthcare setting (OR 4 years of satisfactory experience with Master's degree)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Epidemiology, Microbiology, Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology, Nursing, Public Health, Business or a related discipline preferred.
- Utilizes analytical thinking.
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with the interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to implement evidence-based guidelines.
- Expertise in data collection and analysis, report writing, and data presentation.
- Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out projects.
- Effectively handles conflicts constructively.
- Demonstrates informal leadership abilities.
- Good working knowledge of MS-Office and software technologies.
Primary Location :
Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus