Manager, Scientific Research Core Facility
Appointed through the Office of Research, the Scientific Core Research Facility Manager is responsible for ensuring the scientific core research facility activities are carried out throughout the Medical Center in conjunction with the Office of Research. This position supervises staff; plans, organizes, and coordinate the scientific core research facility work flow; interacts closely with research faculty and staff throughout the Medical Center to provide training, consultation, and other services as offered by the scientific core research facility.
Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center (VICC) is a leader in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer. The centers world-renowned team of experts provides a integrated, personalized and patient-centered approach to cancer care, including treatment, research, support, education and outreach. From a wide variety of wellness programs to a leading REACH for Survivorship Clinic, patients find support from diagnosis through survivorship. VICC is a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, one of just two centers in Tennessee and 51 in the country to earn this highest distinction, and ranks in the top 10 nationwide for cancer research grant support. Here is a link to our website - http://www.vicc.org/
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Additional Key Elements/ Responsibilities:
- Direct the daily operations of a scientific core research facility. Daily activities include, but are not limited to, overseeing core services, staffing/personnel management and performance, staff training (technical, safety, core facility policy, and compliance training).
- Establish and execute business plans for the scientific core research facility.
- Develop scientific core research facilities policies and procedures.
- Set goals and plans to achieve results.
- Plan for future growth opportunities as appropriate.
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and discipline staff as appropriate.
- Interacts with the Office of Research to determine equipment needs of the scientific research core facility.
- Consult with the Office of Research annually to assess equipment needs.
- Provides recommendations to the Office of Research on equipment purchases.
- Manages the scientific core research facility equipment.
- Optimizes the utilization of the scientific core facility equipment.
- Supervise and monitor instrument calibration and maintenance.
- Troubleshoot instrument problems.
- Responsible for inventory and capital equipment.
- Provide services, support, and training to research faculty, staff, graduate student, and postdoctoral fellows.
- Provide training to researchers (faculty and staff) on instrument operation.
- Provide assistance on experimental design as appropriate.
- Provide assistance with data analysis and interpretation of data.
- Assist researchers in day to day problem solving in research efforts.
- Ensures the scientific core research facility is compliant with regulatory agencies and Vanderbilt policies and procedures.
- Maintains and generates report, records, and statistics and ensures compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Maintain all required quality control documents and have documents available for audit at all times.
- Ensures financial goals are attained for scientific core research facility performance based on projections and defined goals.
- Participate in annual budget planning.
- Monitor budget expenditure of funds for scientific core research facility to stay within approved budget levels.
- Make recommendations to director/principal investigator regarding staff, supply and equipment needs for scientific core research facility services.
- Accurately compile information for monthly billing.
- Invoices clients for services utilizing CORES.
- Interact with the Office of Research to set and manage the scientific core price levels utilizing the CORES invoicing system.
- Provides the appropriate documentation to support prices for services.
- Ensures scientific core research services are billed on a monthly basis utilizing the CORES invoicing system.
- Develop and maintain websites, flyers, bulleting, newsletters to communicate information core users.
- Communicates price levels as appropriate to other core users.
- Consult with core users to determine their satisfaction with services provided by the scientific core research facility.
- Organizational Impact: Directs activities to achieve operational plans with some near term effect on results of the department/area.
- Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Identifies issues, gathers facts to resolve technical and operational problems.
- Breadth of Knowledge: Applies in-depth knowledge and skills of a professional/technical area and basic management knowledge to manage the work of the team.
- Team Interaction: Leads a complex department with a focus on implementation. Typically executes on a short to medium term strategies.
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES:
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY:
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY:
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.