The clinical trials team at Banner Alzheimer's Institute (BAI) currently manages approximately 40 studies with 20 team members consisting of Clinical Research Assistants, Representatives, Coordinators, RN Specialists, Phlebotomist, and Program Managers. Our studies include prevention trials that work with cognitively normal individuals at an increased risk of developing Alzheimer's related symptoms as well as studies for individuals with memory loss including AD and Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI).The majority of BAI's study portfolio includes trials with investigational therapeutic interventions, two non-interventional longitudinal studies, and a number of brain imaging-only trials. Participants of our AD and MCI studies are generally prescreened and recruited from Stead Family Memory Clinic, while participants of our cognitively normal studies are generally from community recruitment and outreach.
As a Phlebotomy Coordinator you will be responsible for patient blood draws, processing, and shipping as it relates to our clinical studies and research projects. This will require protocol and lab manual competency across all lab vendors and pharmaceutical partners. National phlebotomy certification required.
Banner Alzheimer's Institute (BAI) was established in 2006 as Banner Health's first Center of Excellence. Banner Health is one of the largest nonprofit health care systems in the United States. Our team is uniquely, passionately and strategically committed to ending Alzheimer's without losing another generation and to providing an unparalleled model of care for families facing this devastating disease. BAI is committed to improving people's lives through excellent patient care and advances that capitalize on the best biomedical research. We intend to make a transformational difference in Alzheimer's research and care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for collecting and processing blood specimens for assigned patients. Performs technical and administrative work within assigned area and is a resource to help solve in-depth problems arising from routine and specialized testing procedures, as well as more sophisticated or unusual tests. Provides technical and procedural training and coaching of other staff in the lab. Participates in quality improvement, research and development, budget compliance, and ensures regulatory compliance.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Collects and processes specimens: verifies the identity of the patient and labels all samples and requisitions according to the established procedure; obtains blood specimens by skin puncture or venipuncture using appropriate techniques and maintains integrity of specimens in relation to the test performed. Collects and prepares body fluid specimens for various testing and prepares blood slides for hematology results. Recognizes abnormal results or unusual circumstances and takes appropriate actions.
2. Schedules and sets up daily lab visits and prepares phlebotomy kits as appropriate. Makes recommendations to leadership for assessment/action for shift activities. Provides technical and procedural training and coaching to other personnel in the lab. May be responsible for a technical and/or administrative area of focus. Develops and prepares training programs for staff.
3. Reviews records and assures optimal performance of all quality control procedures. Ensures that quality assurance and instrumentation maintenance records meet standards of accrediting and licensing agencies. Assists management in the implementation of QC/QA policies and continuous quality improvement programs. Assists management during inspections and monitors lab safety.
4. Tracks supply usage and orders as needed. Supports waste reduction and expense reduction programs. Identifies potential for expense reduction within section. Assists management in monitoring and controlling expenses throughout the year.
5. Participates in selection, training, and development of staff in the lab. Provides input for Functional Competency Assessments for staff within appropriate timeframes. Coordinates and assists staff with day to day activities pertaining to completion of visit requirements across departments (both clinic and research settings).
6. Serves as a resource and communication liaison. Participates in department/system-wide committees and multidisciplinary teams.
7. This role functions independently under minimal supervision. This position has working knowledge of all laboratory functions for patient care and acts as a department resource by participating in providing educational information to internal and external customers. Interacts with physicians, nurses, clients and other healthcare professionals in responding to results or quality inquiries and other issues related to test orders and /or testing. Provides access to other system resources when appropriate.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
National phlebotomy certification through an approved certifying body.
Two years of experience in the clinical laboratory field, with at least one year in the area of test management / Phlebotomy. Good reading, writing, organization and math skills. Must be able to recognize problems, identify the cause and determine solutions. Must have a thorough knowledge of instrumentation and procedures utilized in the section. Must have a working knowledge of regulatory and accreditation requirements.
Advanced computer skills in multiple systems to include Laboratory Information Systems and Hospital Information Systems, as well as ability to use multiple software programs.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Knowledge of medical terminology. Previous training/supervisory experience or training. Work experience and knowledge in appropriate specialty area e.g. Research, Clinic, etc.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R27936
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.