At Stony Brook Medicine, the Employee Leave Specialist provides direction and guidance to managers and employees on all employee leaves. This position is very deadline driven and requires excellent time management and organizational skills. The overall goal is to provide exceptional customer service while safeguarding sensitive and confidential information.
Duties of an Employee Leave Specialist may include the following but are not limited to:
• Serves as the subject matter expert for the leaves of absence and requests for accommodation under the general direction and guidance of HR leadership, OIDE and/or the legal department as appropriate.
• Interprets and administers leave programs and policies in accordance with the applicable federal and state employment laws (FMLA, PFL, ADA, USERRA, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, etc.) and in accordance with Stony Brook policies and collective bargaining agreements.
• Independently evaluates, approves and/or denies leave cases based on relevant medical information and eligibility criteria. Ensures that HIPAA and Employee Privacy guidelines are closely monitored and effectively executed.
• Develops and oversees all administrative aspects of the leave of absence process to include tracking hours used/taken, sending timely notifications of leave approvals or denials and working closely with Payroll to ensure that pay for associates is accurate and correct.
• Works closely with employees to ensure that all relevant completed medical documentation is submitted for timely review. Maintains appropriate contact with all employees on leave and coordinates all aspects of return to work for associates on leave.
• Collaborates with Employee and Labor Relations to ensure appropriate investigations of alleged fraudulent activity of leave cases.
• Collaborates with all ER/LR business partners and with employees’ supervisors on all leave cases to review claim status and develop strategies for resolution.
• Coordinates all fit for duty requests for employees returning from extended leave of absences.
• Performs all other duties as assigned or required. Skills
• ability to analyze information and convert related activities into a comprehensive work plan
• ability to communicate and make recommendations to management
• ability to identify basic problems and procedural irregularities, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
• ability to multi-task and drive multiple projects
• ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
• demonstrated ability to protect and preserve confidential information
• demonstrated problem solving, time management and priority setting skills
• Bachelor’s Degree
• At least 2 years of experience in FMLA administration
• Experience working with a HRIS
• Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite
• Strong organizational skills
• Master’s Degree
• Previous experience in Employee Relations
• Prior experience working with collective bargaining agreements
• Working knowledge of an Electronic Document Management System
• Experience using PeopleSoft, SharePoint, NYSTEP, and/or Kronos
• Experience in NYS PFL administration
Special Notes: Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Posting Overview: This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
• Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
• All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
• This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
• This function/position maybe designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
• Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services*
• Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
• Successfully complete a 5 panel drug screen*
• Successfully complete a Background Check investigation.
• Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
*The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access at (631)632-6280.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.