Overview of Intensivist Duties: In conjunction with the Surgical or Medical attending physician and other consultants, the Pulmonologist/Intensivist (hereafter PI) directs the care of all patients in the Intensive Care Unit. The PI provides continuous vigilance; early intervention and ongoing care with the goal to decrease ICU related morbidity and mortality. In addition, the PI proactively communicates with the other members of the team to assure optimal results.
Overview of Pulmonologist Duties: When not scheduled for Intensivist duties, the PI will assume the role of consulting pulmonologist. As such, s/he will perform inpatient/outpatient procedures, inpatient /outpatient consultations, and inpatient/outpatient follow-up care. Specific Intensivist Responsibilities: (These will account for 0.5 of position FTEE):
* Examine and evaluate each patient soon after admission to the ICU and notify the admitting physician of assessment and recommendations
* Perform and document a Critical Care Medicine consultation on all patients.
* Write ICU orders in addition to the admitting physician orders as deemed necessary for optimal care.
* Perform and document subsequent evaluation of all patients in the ICU on daily rounds once every twenty-four hours and as needed.
* Coordinate with the admitting physician and consultants to organize diagnostic and treatment plans for all Intensive Care Unit patients.
* Participate in the Rapid Response Team (RRT) per hospital policy.
* Perform and document diagnostic/therapeutic procedures within the scope of individual clinical privileges.
* Respond to all cardiac and respiratory arrests in the ICU, assuming the role of the Code Team Leader.
* Sign out to the oncoming physician to assure an informed transition of care. Complete off-duty summary notes when leaving ICU service.
* Assist in the appropriate transfer of patients within the Medical Center and, as possible, with transfer to other facilities.
* Participate in patient care rounds daily with the charge nurse, pharmacy, dietary, case management, respiratory care, pastoral care ICU nursing staff.
Specific Pulmonologist Duties: (These will account for 0.5 of position FTEE):
* Diagnoses, treat, and manage patients with pulmonary diseases according to accepted standards of care.
* Perform outpatient Consultations in Pulmonary Clinic (8 to 15 patients per day).
* Provide inpatient Pulmonary Consultations.
* Perform invasive procedures for which s/he has been granted privileges.
* Perform Compensation and Pension exams and/or reviews as requested.
* May admit ICU patients critically ill with pulmonary diseases and/or requiring assisted ventilation.
* Interpret pulmonary function tests.
* Administrative Duties:
* Participate in the educational programs for the critical care unit personnel as well as the medical staff.
* Participate in monitoring the quality, safety and appropriateness of patient care.
* Attend ICU Committee meetings. Develop/update ICU policies and procedures.
* Demonstrate ethical conduct and serve as a positive role model to others at all levels of the organization.
* Participate in quality assurance programs and chart reviews.
* Attend Medical Service staff meetings and Medical/Dental staff meetings.
* Complete medical records in accordance with Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of the Medical Staff.
* Participate in Medical Staff committee assignments.
* Perform other duties assigned by the Chief of Medicine.
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with on-call duties on the weekend, night and holiday coverage as necessary.
Functional Statement Title/#: 000000
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following requirements:
- U.S Citizenship (Non-citizens may be appointed only if it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens).
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
- Completion of first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in any State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical.
- Board certifiedInternal Medicine and board certified/board eligible in specialty (Pulmonary with Critical Care experience or Critical Care Medicine)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standardwhich is available in thelocal HR office.
Physical Requirements: Standing, walking, lifting light loads, assisting patients with positioning and transfers. Must be able to use a computer to input orders, review reports etc. Must be able to communicate directions and patient orders. Light lifting (under 15lbs), light carrying (under 15lbs), use of fingers, far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other, hearing (aid permitted), emotional stability, mental stability, working closely with others, working alone, and working with biohazardous materials.
The following documents are required by all applicants:
1. CV (required)
2. Signed- VA Form 10-2850, "Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractor (Revision Jul 2006) (http://www.va.gov/vaforms/) (required)
3. Copy of your transcript: if you are using education to qualify.
4. SF-50 (Required) If you are a current or former federal employee this document is required if using this to support eligibility for the position. Please submit most recent non-award SF-50 (Displays grade, tenure and title.
If you are a preference eligible Veteran you need to include the following documents in addition to the above required documents through the eOPF https://eopf.nbc.gov/va/)
5. SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, available at http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx, if applicable
6. Veteran Administration Letter of Disability Rating, If applicable.
7. DD Form 214 (Member 4 copy) Showing Type of Discharge
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1944771.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.