Under supervision, the incumbent of this position provides professional nursing care to clinic patients. Works collaboratively with the providers within the team setting to facilitate quality care for the patient.
1. Performs general nursing care to patients. Administers treatments in accordance with nursing standards.
2. Assists with the preparation of equipment and aids provider during treatment, examination, and testing of patients.
3. Observes, records, and reports patients' condition and reaction to drugs or treatments to providers.
4. Oversees appointment bookings and ensures preferences are given to patients in emergency situations. Maintains timely flow of patients.
5. Greets patients and obtains well-documented history and vitals. Prepares patients for physical exam. Instructs patients in collection of samples and tests.
6. May perform the following tasks in accordance with established procedures and as prescribed by applicable licensure/certification:
Obtain/record vital signs; perform initial assessment on patient; coordinate patient transfer to hospital and/or discharge; give telephone orders; accept telephone test results; perform telephone triage; call in provider approved prescription refills; specimen collection including stool and urine midstream; catheterize patient; indwelling catheter urine collection; obtain throat culture; pregnancy testing; administer urine dip; obtain wound culture; perform snellen vision screening; eye injury management; administer optic/otic meds; assist with lumbar punctures; sputum collection; occult blood testing; assist with vaginal exam; teach crutch/cane walking; teach use of walker; apply Velcro splint; assist with plaster splint; apply moist heat and/or cold packs; administer enema; remove fecal impaction; administer oxygen; teach respiratory hygiene; administer chest physiotherapy; perform oral suction and/or infant suction bulb; wound care; apply sterile dressing; assist with circumcision; perform umbilical care; apply colloidal dressing; open sterile tray; apply topical medications; administer rectal and/or vaginal medications; give oral medications; and, give sublingual medications to adults and/or pediatric patients.
7. May perform the following tasks only if appropriate training has been obtained:
Blood collection by lancet; pulse oximetry; incentive Spirometry; suture and/or staple removal; ear irrigation; administer breathing treatment; give allergy/insulin/immunization medications to adult and/or pediatric patients; give intramuscular and/or subcutaneous injections to adult and/or pediatric patients; give injections Z track to adult patients.
8. May perform the following tasks after providing verification of completion of special training:
Blood collection venipuncture; audiometry exam; titmus vision screening; EKG; administer electrical stimulation; assist/process biopsies; draw blood from portocath; assist endoscopy, start saline lock or IV fluids and monitor IV fluids.
9. May administer IV push medications and/or add medications to IV only after completion of special training and only under direct supervision of licensed practitioner.
10. May make arrangements for patient testing and admissions.
11. May be required to have a working knowledge of ICD9, CPT and HCPCS coding and managed care.
12. Responds to incoming telephone calls and (per provider instructions) calls in refills and prescriptions to pharmacy.
13. Per provider and/or established protocol, instructs patients and/or family with regard to medication and treatment and documents the same.
14. Formulates and updates patient care plans. Orders, prepares, and inspects patient charts. Posts tests and examination results. Reviews patient's tests and examination results with provider; documents instructions and notifies patient.
15. Maintains patient files, records and other information in a professional manner following policies and procedures regarding documentation.
16. Ensures preparation of exam rooms including re-stocking of treatment areas.
17. Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
18. Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional licensure and affiliations.
19. Follows the CHRISTUS Physician Group guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
20. Maintains strict confidentiality.
21. Uses oral and written communication skills to effectively convey ideas in a clear, positive manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission.
22. Maintains established CHRISTUS Physician Group policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
23. Implements job responsibilities in a manner that is consistent with the CHRISTUS Mission and Code of Ethics and supportive of CHRISTUS Physician Group's cultural diversity objectives.
24. Supports and adheres to CPG Service Guarantee.
25. Performs other related work as required.